Damage refers to a negative modification to a player's health, stamina, or mana. Damage to health is represented in real time, following the event of taking damage by overhead floating red digits for personal damage, orange digits for damage to a group member, and yellow digits for damage to any other party. Damage to stamina and mana will only be indicated via system channels.
Combat using physical damage is often refered to as melee combat since all weapons inflict one of these three types of damage, however, a few spells may use these aslo. Physical damage is the most resisted type of damage because all armor except cloth will offer some resistance to it and all mages can choose to train Shielding, which offers protection from 10.25 to 30 percent of physical damage. Also some classes receive a damage absorber, which will cap off physical resistances for a short period of time. There are three physical damage types:
- Crushing, caused by hammers or staffs
- Piercing, caused by spears, bows, crossbows, some types of axes, or daggers
- Slashing, caused by swords, pole arms, or most axes
Power damage is caused mostly by spells casted by the player. With the widest range of varying types, aside from the Mage's Defensive stance, players will have a difficult time being resistant to all of them at once. Like physical damage types, the cap for resistance to spells is 75%, but there is no limit to how far in the negative a player may become exposed. The following are the power damage types.
- Bleeding is a low-damage DoT caused by weapon powers. This resistance is not displayed in the resistances window. The third tier bleeding proc is "of Cuts"
- Cold may be caused by Shadow Bolt, Hoarfrost, Ice Bolt, Blizzard, Fury of Ice, or Chill of the Grave. The third tier cold damage proc is "of the Frykka"
- Fire damage is cause by Blood Boil, Ignite, Incendiary Blast, Fire Bolt, Uvoriel's Judgment,Brand the Wicked, Saint Malorn's Wrath, and Cleansing Flame. The third tier fire proc is "of Fire".
- Healing resistance determines the amount you are healed. This resistance is not displayed in the resistances window.
- Holy damage is caused by Censure, Darius' Fist, Fling Holy Water, Put to the Torch, Smite the Dead, Saint Lorne's Ire, Divine Word of Binding, and Righteous Word of Binding. The third tier holy proc is "of Truth"
- Lightning damage is caused by Electrocute, Lightning Bolt, Call Lightning (Channeler), Call Lightning (Druid), Call the Sky's Fury, and Call Storm. The third tier lightning proc is "of Thunderbolts".
- Magic damage is caused by Mage Bolt, Lesser Mage Bolt, Dread Dissonance, Pallando's Pernicious Puns, Mystic Bolt, and Sign of Sorthoth. The third tier proc for magic damage is "of the Fey"
- Mental damage is caused by Mind Strike and Psychic Shout. The third tier mental proc is "of the Mentalist"
- Poison damage is caused by Steal Breath, Purgation, Blight, and Inflict Poison. The third tier poison proc is "of the Fang"
- Unholy damage is caused by Unholy Blast and Unholy Storm. The third tier unholy proc is "of Oblivion".
Siege damage is a type of damage that may only effect buildings and other structures. The Battle Magus power Demolishing Spell is the only player spell that uses siege damage, however, players may also inflict siege damage by the use of a siege engine such as a trebuchet or in the medium of weapons using a siege hammer, bow, or staff. All pets automatically inflict siege damage when attacking bane stones, but may not damage other structures.