This guide will show you how to play Shadowbane as soon as possible. It is designed for everyone, from complete newbies to veteran players alike.
This article is for Mac users. For PC install instructions, see Getting Started.
|Step 1: Account Creation|
You must have a forum account to play the game. You don't have to post or interact with the community if you don't want to, but you need a working account! The username and password you create will also be your login ID and password for the game itself. Click below to register.
- Click the Register button above.
- Read and agree to the terms and conditions.
- Enter your user name of choice, then fill out other details. You'll need to validate your email address before the account is activated.
- Once your account is active, you'll be able to post on the forums, but that is not required for playing the game.
|Step 2: Download|
- Click here to download the Shadowbane client and launcher bundle ZIP file. (If you have played Shadowbane Emulator recently, you don't need to download a new client. Just download the new launcher here)
- Download Wineskin Winery. For more detailed instructions than listed here and to download Wineskin free, go to this link.
- Run Wineskin Winery and click the "Update" button.
- Click the "+" button and then click the explore button to select a new engine. It is confirmed to work on WS9Wine2.16 engine or higher. Click "Download and Install".
- Once you have an engine and a wrapper, select the engine you want and hit the "Create Blank Wrapper" button. Name this wrapper whatever you want. It will create and place the wrapper under the Users/User_Name/Applications/Wineskin filepath. Winery will go through some updates and prompt you to install Mono and Gecko, if they have not been installed already. Install both!
- Once the wrapper is created, double click it to launch it and click "Install Software".
- Click "Move A Folder Inside", select your main Shadowbane folder (commonly named "Shadowbane - Throne of Oblivion"), and click "Choose".
- A menu will pop up asking you to choose an executable file to run when you open the wrapper. Click the explore button and find the file "SBE_Launcher_32bit.exe", select it, and hit "Ok". From here, you should be able to double click the wrapper and it will run the SBEmu Launcher. This means the wrapper is set up properly!
- Once the wrapper is set up properly, you will likely want to create an alias of the wrapper to put on your desktop/dock for ease of access.
|Step 3: Play|
Now that you have the launcher, its time to boot it up! To create a fair gane environment, players must associate their computer with their account. This ensures that the game knows the difference between your main window and your alternate characters if you choose to multibox.
- You will see that the launcher has assigned you "MAC Address" and "Auth Code" numbers.
- Open the
- Copy and paste the MAC Address and Auth Code numbers from your launcher to the website, then click Update.
- Make sure that the website has changed your account status to "Verified."
- The system may take up to 5 minutes to register your credentials.
- Click "Play" on the launcher app, and log into the game using your forum username and password.
Note: Please keep your MAC Address and Account Code numbers private.